(5 Years Until) My Quarter-Life Crisis


The ruminations, ramblings and rants of a marketing intern trying to figure out what the fuck she's doing all summer... and in life. This intern was very upset when she found out that a "Quarter-Life Crisis" comes at age 25, not 20.

Friday, May 27, 2005

first day

What I did today was EXACTLY what I did on the first day of my last job: basic data entry, cleaning of lead lists and stuff. Ironic? Honestly, it's the most boring thing in the world and puts me to sleep, so tomorrow i'm bringing my dangerous iPod to keep me awake (which my last job gave me...).

We went out to lunch, which is one of the big perks of marketing. The thai restaurant was the one that I used to go to with the old company. I got my "usual": CRAZY NOODLES. I felt guilty.

I decided not to bring up the money issue. And I still have to figure out how I'm going to split my time between the old company and the new company. (My old boss taught me everything I know, there's no way I could just leave.)

My one concern: my new cubicle is right in the middle of the office, where everyone passes through. I would be fine, if it wasn't for the fact that my cubicle only has three sides! It's missing that standard half of a fourth side that everyone else has. This means that anyone can see what I'm doing at any time.



According to a Washington Post article, "My Cubicle, My Cell", 26% of U.S. companies have fired employees for misusing the Internet on company time, while 25% have done the same for e-mail abuse. Although I don't think that checking my mail or reading the news will get me fired, I don't like the fact that I don't have the privacy to do it.

Some would argue that I shouldn't be doing either of those things on company time. However, I think that taking a five minute break and then re-focusing on my assignment is much more productive than me trying to just get through it.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger tlm said…

    Invest in one of those privacy filter thingys that you put on the front of your monitor (best money I ever spent!) so passersby can't see what's on your monitor.

    And if anybody asks, just tell them it's to protect your sensitive eyes from the glare on the screen.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home